1. News & Issues

Top 10 Conservative Magazines

By March 6, 2009

Recently, a reader e-mailed to ask why the Cato Institute wasn't included on the list of Top 10 Conservative Web Sites.

There wasn't really a good answer, because the Cato Institute -- one of the top conservative think-tanks in the world -- does deserve to be on the list. After reviewing the page, it occurred to me that I might better serve my readers by breaking out a new top 10 list -- for conservative magazines.

After reviewing dozens of conservative web sites, and even checking out some of the periodicals at one of the local universities (which was woefully bereft of conservative material, I might add), these were the magazines that I found provided the best conservative information. This is a subjective list, so I'm sure there will be folks who disagree with the ones in my top 10, but that's OK. I welcome the discussion.

The were several criteria for inclusion on this list -- popularity was not one of them. However, to be chosen a magazine did have to be well enough established that it was sure to be a resource for conservatives in the years to come. There is no room for fly-by-night periodicals on this list. Also, I gave first consideration to magazines that have at least some kind of online resources. After all, most of the research done these days is online. Next, the quality of the material was ranked, and -- ¡viola! --we have a top 10 list.

Since some of the sites were pulled from Top 10 Conservative Web Sites, that list had to be revised. I had been planning to do this for awhile, but the reader e-mail finally got me motivated, so I decided to expedite its revision.

In the coming weeks, I'm planning to build more resource-related content, so conservatives new to the movement have not only a clearinghouse for ideas, but for new perspectives, as well.

For now, enjoy this list, and as always, please take a moment to leave a comment, because I'm eager to hear your thoughts.

Check out these other resources for conservatives:

Comments

March 7, 2009 at 3:43 pm
(1) Susan Heathfield says:

Nice job, Justin, on both lists. The only other paper I read every day is the Wall Street Journal. I, too, had missed Cato from your original list. I’ve been a member of several of your mentions for years.

Regards, Susan

March 8, 2009 at 1:13 pm
(2) usconservatives says:

Thanks, Susan! It’s good to know we’re on the same page.

March 9, 2009 at 4:54 pm
(3) alex says:

The Cato Institute is not a conservative think tank. It is libertarian and there is an enormous difference.

March 9, 2009 at 11:45 pm
(4) Susan says:

Hi,

I do make some distinctions, but in the years of the Obama liberals – socialists – fascists (depending on your definition) take over of America, I don’t want to slice the right and the right of right too much. Just my opinion. I think we all need to get together.

Justin, I did think of one to add, that deserves mention:

Newsmax

Take care.

May 17, 2009 at 1:28 pm
(5) E. N. Genovese says:

Thanks for the list. Trivial punctuation error: _voila_ is French, not Spanish. If you need an inverted exclamation point, try _ímira!_

January 14, 2010 at 11:35 pm
(6) Tim says:

Thanks for the list. I just found your blog and plan to come back often. Not a shocker that you didn’t find many conservative mags at your local institute of higher enlightened education. Keep up the good work.

March 13, 2010 at 12:16 am
(7) Susan says:

Is the American Heritage a conservative magazine? I just got a subscription offer, but I don’t want to read about a revised version of history.

Thanks

August 27, 2010 at 10:51 pm
(8) Sarah says:

HELP!! My daughter’s high school history department has subscribed to a student publication from the New York Times called Upfront. Does anyone know of a similar high school-level publication I can suggest to the high school as an alternative to what I anticipate will be a very liberal publication for those young, impressionable minds? Please help.
Thank you.