1. News & Issues

Hollywood's Dirty Little Secret

By May 5, 2008

Former First Lady Nancy Reagan greets conservative Angie Harmon on Apr. 9, 2008.

**UPDATE**
Check out our full list of conservative Hollywood celebrities. Also, learn How Conservative Hollywood Became a Liberal Town.

While Hollywood is still light-years away from being a conservative town, more and more right-leaning celebrities are finding their way into Tinseltown's mainstream.

Outright conservative activism is still frowned upon widely by Hollywood Hills executives and most of the film industry still produces liberal-leaning movies and television shows, but there are celebrities willing to swim against the stream while holding tight to their conservative principles.

Following is a partial list of confirmed Hollywood conservatives who deserve recognition for their unwavering committiment to the conservative cause (click on their names to see one of the three credible sources I used to determine whether they were, in fact, conservatives worthy of inclusion on the list):

This list by no means "outs" the celebrites mentioned. In every case, the listed celebrity has made public remarks or donated money to a politically conservative cause. Anyone wishing to submit more celebrities to this list isencouraged to do so, but three credible sources must also be submitted for verification for them to be included on the list.

Though it has been many years since liberals were hunted and, in some cases, falsely accused of being communists by the likes of Sen. Joe McCarthy, Hollywood has become an unfriendly place for conservatives. If, however, more conservatives show themselves to be friendly, socially responsible people, perhaps the tinseltown mentality won't be so exclusionary.

Lists like this are a start.

Photo: Charley Gallay/Getty Images

Comments

May 5, 2008 at 11:48 pm
(1) Conservative Insider says:

Anyone who works here in H’wood knows that being “outed” as a conservative means being blacklisted from jobs. I have personally been called many laughably-ignorant names to my face by some self-righteous liberals, all because of the bigoted assumptions they make about “all” conservatives. This is condemnation before investigation – not a very enlightened POV. Liberals view themselves as people who embrace diversity, unless it means tolerating the views of their political opponents – conservatives. What’s sad is that these judgmental people cause great damage labeling conservatives as being, for example, racists when those of my ilk are only interested in the cessation of wasteful government spending and the compounding of the problem via exorbitant taxes. As for the suggestion that more conservatives should “…show themselves to be friendly, socially responsible people,” the conservatives I know have too much class to flout what they do to help others, either via their actions or by what they voluntarily contribute from their own wallets. Anonymous giving is part of many conservative people’s M.O. and a spiritual way of approaching problems many of us share, so you might want to reconsider the accuracy and value of your exclusionary list-making endeavor.

May 7, 2008 at 2:29 pm
(2) Robert Hamer says:

Looks like a full spectrum of talent, from legends like Jon Voight and Robert Duvall to morons like Ben Stein and Elizabeth Hasselbeck.

June 6, 2008 at 8:12 pm
(3) BT says:

Robert Hamer….you are the moron. Ben Stein is one of the smartest people around and you label him a moron?

June 27, 2008 at 8:25 am
(4) Joni says:

I am happy to see that some in hollywood have a mind of their own. True leadership.

September 7, 2008 at 7:00 pm
(5) Wendy says:

I do not have corroborating links, but the following are pretty established as conservatives, at least as far as the liberal media are concerned:
Gary Sinise, David Mamet, Robert Downey Jr., Chuck Norris, Adam Sandler, Mel Gibson, James Woods, Andy Garcia, Dennis Miller and Ron Silver.

There’s a new movie out in October – An American Carol – made by David Zucker, which lampoons the Hollywood liberal crowd. It looks to be VERY funny. Go see it to laugh and show support – prove that conservative-themed movies are far more popular than Hollywood wishes to believe!

September 13, 2008 at 4:00 am
(6) Robert Hamer says:

Ben Stein is a creationist who believes that Bernstein and Woodward were wrong to expose the Watergate scandal. Are you embarrassed now for your ignorant post?

September 22, 2008 at 2:53 pm
(7) Adam B says:

Just to clear the air…

Not all conservatives hate gays, minorities, etc, etc!

I happen to be a conservative with many friends from all different walks of life.

The term conservative anymore means a belief in strong family values, a small and fair government, a move towards private charity…rather than govt mishandling, and the belief that the US is the greatest nation with limitless opportunities for everyone, regardless of where you start. We are in no way the hateful segment of a party some describe us to be. It’s offensive…but we also believe you have the right to say whatever you want. Just remember the lives that have sacrificed for your freedom to spew nonsense about the evil conservative movement.

It’s not a terrible idea to educate yourselves beyond what CNN would have you believe.

September 30, 2008 at 11:56 pm
(8) Proud Conservative says:

With the exception of Robert Duvall, I’d say what we have here is a list of true Grade A talent.

October 16, 2008 at 10:53 pm
(9) jake says:

Am I the only one who noticed that ALL the folks listed are +40 years old? My belief is hollywood blacklists conservatives and only very established celebraties can out themselves. The younger folks that are outspoken never make it or are staying in the “closet”.

October 23, 2008 at 12:00 am
(10) Frances says:

Jake:
That was a good observation. It is true, however; as stated in the first one or two posts, that liberals declare themselves diverse and open-minded. That may be true, but not to the inclusion of conservative ideas. Very often, they are quite the opposite: Extremely intolerant of differing viewpoints.

I read that Kelsey Grammar was forced earlier in his career to contribute $10,000 to the democratic party, but he continued that he was well enough established now, that he didn’t experience the same bias (his idea/my words). Seems much of a double standard going on with liberals in Hollywood. Do these people really think they represent the main stream?

October 30, 2008 at 9:08 pm
(11) Dora says:

Robert Hamer: Ben Stein is a creationist.What are you Robert? an evolutionist? Evolution=making a monkey out of you.

November 1, 2008 at 3:20 pm
(12) wally says:

My only comment is that I think that to have ran such a dirty campaign is dispicable. If I were Jophm McCain I would be ashamed to show my face in public. i thought the Republican party was a christian party but I see it is onlu=y the lying party. and sperads propoganda about the candidates they are running against and don’t liketo help the people ofthis united states that pay there wages. The government is the people do deserve a voice and when things are bad It is our money that makes this Unitedstates great. The government is nothein without us paying taxes and we deserve to be lifted rather than be torn down as the republican party has.

December 1, 2008 at 7:47 pm
(13) Killer55 says:

Wally, when I read your post I was reminded of Dan Akroyd’s response to Jane Curtain in several popular SNL’s Weekend Update skits many years ago (“Jane you ignorant slut…”)

January 10, 2009 at 4:19 pm
(14) Jeff says:

I do know that Sylvester Stallone appeared at a Brady Campaign rally late last year. Conservative–I don’t think so. His support of McCain only proves my point.

January 12, 2009 at 2:14 am
(15) LA conservative says:

Hamer: So believing in creationism makes one a moron? That statement says a lot about you. Intelligent design makes a very strong case for creationism in my mind and I’m not particularly religious. To each his own.

January 23, 2009 at 9:09 pm
(16) Brian says:

It takes alot more faith to believe in evolution than it does to believe in creation. To me it’s pretty ignorant to believe that we went from goo to you via the zoo. People who believe in evolution just don’t want to be held accountable to God. Whether you believe in him or not, we’re all going to stand before him one day. Claiming ignorance isn’t going to make hell any cooler for you. I pray that you find the truth before it’s too late.

January 28, 2009 at 2:48 pm
(17) Virginia says:

How about Gary Sinese and Gary Busey?

February 9, 2009 at 12:23 pm
(18) Corey S. says:

Ben Stein IS a moron.

Kurt Russell is a libertarian, not a conservative.

February 18, 2009 at 7:54 pm
(19) RondaE says:

Don’t forget Ron Silverman! He has an entire website devoted to the conservative movement in Hollywood and written for the younger generation to encourage them to stand up for their rights as a conservative and not listen to the lights and glamor of Hollywood!

February 25, 2009 at 10:50 pm
(20) repub123 says:

I think it’s ashame that celebs get black listed when they are discovered to be conservative. I experienced the same kind of b.s. when my union found out I was a republican. It’s all a bunch of crap. My first union rep had his suspicions, but he didn’t really care, when he got replaced by a scum sucking left wing narcissitic windbag, I found fewer and fewer opportunities coming my way, until finally I couldn’t get any more work, and had to withdraw. Liberal members of my union were flown in from out of town to steal work away from me, and no matter how I performed, no matter how many phone calls I made, everything dried up. I went broke and had to withdraw from the union and find new work. But, now, I’m glad I don’t have to deal with those idiots anymore.

February 26, 2009 at 7:08 am
(21) Mike says:

Every day in this country, conservatives voice their hatred and contempt for *Hollywood liberals.* What exactly then do you expect *Hollywood liberals* to do in response to this, offer tea and sympathy? What goes around, comes around, get used to it.

February 26, 2009 at 7:50 am
(22) usconservatives says:

Mike,

First, I don’t really think conservatives voice any kind of “hatred” for Hollywood liberals because I don’t think conservatives “hate” Hollywood liberals. I think they’re annoyed by them, definitely. So, contempt maybe, but not hatred. Hatred implies a certain primordial aggressive hostility, and that just doesn’t fit here.

And, no, I don’t think conservatives expect “tea and sympathy.” What I think they do expect, however, is a certain amount of respect, and perhaps a recognition of talent where that recognition is due. Unfortunately, Hollywood is so into celebrating its liberal causes (i.e. the Academy’s fawning over Sean Penn’s portrayal of Harvey Milk in Milk), that it often fails to recognize other worthy performances (such as Clint Eastwood’s portrayal of Walt Kowalski in Gran Torino. See here for more info.).

Incidentally, Penn praised the new “elegant” president, but failed to recognize that if Obama had lived in California, he would have voted in FAVOR of Proposition 8, which banned gay marriage. After all, our new “elegant” president has stated his opposition to the institution for homosexual couples on more than one occasion.

And that’s what I mean: Hollywood should stop playing politics, because very often their ignorance over the specifics of the issues they’re promoting winds up leading to the widespread propagandizing of misinformation.

So, bluntly, Hollywood shouldn’t offer conservatives “tea & sympathy” they should stop manifesting misinformation and disseminating it like disease.

February 27, 2009 at 12:45 pm
(23) Mike says:

I see no evidence that the liberal politics of Hollywood has ever played a role in Academy Award nominations. In fact, virtually every great actor with conservative leanings won an Oscar for their acting work. The list includes John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, Charlton Heston, Gary Cooper, William Holden, Clark Gable, Jon Voight, and Robert Duvall.

Of course Clint Eastwood hasn’t won an award for acting, but he’s taken home no less than 4 Oscars in other categories – two for Best Director and two for Best Picture. (This is no small feat given that the great Alfred Hitchcock never won Best Director.)

While it may be true that no prominent conservative has won an acting award in recent years, that’s probably because there aren’t many conservative actors in Hollywood anymore, and certainly none with the acting ability of Charlton Heston or Jimmy Stewart.

BTW, Obama is on the record as opposing Prop. 8.

March 11, 2009 at 7:08 am
(24) Brian says:

I’m a fiscal conservative with some moderately liberal social positions. I don’t “hate” liberals. If I did, I’d need to spend an awful lot of time hating since I live in deep-blue Delaware.
I marvel at liberals’ willful ignorance of history, economics and human nature. They display no understanding of incentive and reward whatsoever. No matter how often liberal, socialist policies fail, they continue to cling to them like toddlers to their security blankets.
Liberals fail to acknowledge that this country became great only as a result of capitalism and individualism. They ignore the teachings of the founding fathers and instead endeavor to indoctrinate our youth with Marxist/socialist drivel which is forever doomed to failure.
We conservatives don’t “hate” liberals. We are simply disgusted with liberals being consistently and forever wrong about nearly everything.

April 1, 2009 at 4:16 pm
(25) Vance says:

Well said! It gets tiresome, to say the least. Liberalism requires only one or both of two things: mental or intellectual laziness, and insecurity. If one is willing to let others think for them, clinging to liberal (hypocritical) tenets is the easy way out. Individualism requires staunch self-motivation and self-reliance. If one is insecure in their beliefs that they can do it on their own, or take care of themselves with someone else’s (government’s) help, then it’s simply so much easier to give up or give in, and let someone else do it.

June 10, 2009 at 2:21 pm
(26) Alex says:

Ben Stein is indeed a moron. Watching his movie Expelled makes that excruciatingly clear.

June 10, 2009 at 6:01 pm
(27) Texas Evangelical Ultra-Conservative says:

I echo the comments about creationism from Brian. Most of the Hollywood folks either worship their bodies, their looks, their material possessions, or whatever interesting “spiritual” fad is sweeping through their clique. Secular humanism at its finest.

Also, with regards to Watergate — why is no blame ever associated with the Democrats running an escort/prostition ring that was the whole reason for Nixon, et. al., doing the surveillance?? The blatant criminality of that far exceeds collecting information on it in my book. Sure, Nixon’s folks were doing it for political purposes, but what was the purpose of the Democrat prostitution ring? Money and exploitation. Gotta marvel at how they always get away with representing themselves as pro-women’s rights and ethical and caring.

I’d much rather take my chances with a bunch of Bible-toting radical right-wing Evangelicals any day!

July 11, 2009 at 1:38 pm
(28) Coffeeville says:

How many of these celebrities have the values of love, marriage and putting the children first? Unless they gave that a real good try, I don’t think they can be considered conservatives.

August 13, 2009 at 6:03 pm
(29) Lynn says:

The extent of America-hating producers, directors, and actors that present the current “Hollywood” is incredible. These hipocrites rake in millions, and outsource movies to cut costs, all the while they bash corporations that outsource overseas. Why do we not see movies on Communists: Stalin, Pol Pot, or the Chinese involvement in the Viet Nam war? Why don’t we see movies about Alger Hiss; the real Rosenbergs, or the murders of journalists in Russia?

September 2, 2009 at 3:45 pm
(30) Sharon says:

Obama using the lefties in Hollywood to further his agenda is sickening and to show that leftist prpopaganda ad to OUR kids in their school on Sept 8, 2009 is a downright smack in the face to conservative families. Speak out and tell your school you do not want your child exposed to this kind of propaganda.
STAND UP AND BE HEARD!

September 30, 2009 at 3:07 pm
(31) dafrieze says:

Hollywood doesn’t discriminate according to political beliefs any more than anywhere else. If it were as bad as you all seem to think, the people on your list wouldn’t be stars. The person who noticed that most of the names there are of people who are over 40 years old hit the nail on the head. What Hollywood does discriminate against, and has for decades, is age.

October 29, 2009 at 3:50 pm
(32) Paul D Cowan says:

Don’t you people understand that GOD created evolution?

December 7, 2009 at 1:07 pm
(33) diana says:

Robert Duvall is a STAR, you moron. Why are you liberals looking at a conservative site? I for one won’t watch any movie with an actor such as Sean Penn, Tom Cruise or Charlie Sheen.

January 31, 2010 at 9:22 pm
(34) Amanda says:

Thank you, Paul!! I’ve wondered why more people don’t see the link between the two.

March 29, 2010 at 6:46 am
(35) MikeMcK says:

One of our family’s favorite conservatives is Adam Baldwin (aka “John Casey” of the TV show, “Chuck”).

He writes some excellent things at BigHollywood.com, a conservative website.

April 3, 2010 at 4:47 am
(36) Joel Hegar says:

Hey, Bob Hamer. Ben Stein’s IQ is 228. What’s yours?!

April 3, 2010 at 10:44 am
(37) Cathy says:

I guess those “all loving” liberals might have to start “walking” the talk. Free to be you and me?….they (liberals) only seem to feel that way when it’s another “like minded person”.
Start practicing what you preach ladies and gentlemen of Hollywood, and don’t discriminate the conservatives.

I think you’ll find, we’re all in this together.

May 4, 2010 at 7:57 pm
(38) JM says:

As a 15 year industry veteran, I can tell you that bigotry in Hollywood is at an all-time high.

Los Angeles as a whole is a talking points town – not a town of individual thought or consideration. There is genuine hate for anyone (conservative or otherwise) who go off the talking points.

May 31, 2010 at 12:16 am
(39) Gary says:

I love how the author tries to suggest that its the conservative people’s fault that they are looked down upon in Hollywood, and hints that they basically need to walk on egg shells when discussing their personal beliefs with the rest of the Libs.

June 5, 2010 at 1:04 am
(40) steve says:

Any half wit can see how the justification for racism, genocide, hatred, logically emerges through the teaching of evolution and natural selection. Evolution, the dogma of liberals, cannot be questioned.
Conservatives believe God created all men equal, not that races evolved differently. Conservatives want intelligent design; liberals want unquestioned teaching of a racist theory.

August 16, 2010 at 9:08 pm
(41) Reneeca says:

My sister was an actress in the 70′s in Hollywood. Oh how times have changed. The once proud profession she chose is now the biggest bunch of low life’s I’ve ever seen. You’d think they were political appointees for the way they become such outspoken defenders of the Left. Put a mike in fron of them and they just can’t help themselves!The liberal Hollkywood should take a long look in their narccistic mirror and try to remember the greatest actors we ever had were the John Wayne’s, Jimmy Stewarts,and many others of that geneeration who were admired asw much for theiur duty to country as for their acting ability. The culture in Hollkywood today are the Lohans and Spears and other trash that that our kids try to emulate. The toxic waste that the movies provide today is just as harmful as if someone dropped it on our homes and families. We all know that the PG movies are the miney makers but Hollkywood continues to make anti-American movies because they know that they will make them tons of money when redistributed in countries that hate us and want us d4ead. What is so galling is that the money made to prouduce these anti-American films, comes from the profits of these childrens movies that are always successful.

November 14, 2010 at 6:42 pm
(42) blondechickv says:

I agree with you conservative outsider. There is Hollywood prayer movement and other ministries that support hollywood conservative celebrities.

December 30, 2010 at 2:32 pm
(43) Ron Nelson says:

This is a long lasting thread. Good for debate. I am a conservative. After realizing some of these absurd comments made by some of the stars I started realizing what was going on. The movies they put out have this “secret” message. Somewhat subliminal actions and story lines. Movies that were action movies now are laughable in their attempts to pose a position of political views. Some of the dialogue is ridiculous. All point out that the United States is the most evil entity on the planet. I looked up many of these actors and found most to be college drop outs and the ones that have degrees it is in theater. And they are going to lecture me on a view of the world. I don’t think so.