From Justin Quinn, former About.com Guide
Being conservative in America goes well beyond wedge issues like abortion and religion. The modern conservative movement is much more diverse than many people outside the movement may realize. Those interested in knowing what makes a a conservative lean to the right, would do well to check out these key terms and concepts.
- An Overview of Political Conservatism
- How Conservatives Think About Race
- Conservatives & the War on Terror
- The Politics of Abortion Among Conservatives
- Conservatives & the Immigration Debate
- Creation or Evolution: Debating the Origin of Man
- How Conservatives Would Create Positive, Enduring Health Care Reform
Types of Conservatives
There is wide debate within the conservative movement over how differing ideologies can fall under one common category. Certain conservatives may doubt the legitimacy of others, but there are arguments for each view.
In America, most people equate a political "conservative" with "right-wing nut-job." This is primarily because people are vastly misinformed about what it means to be a political conservative in the United States. These are the most common myths surrounding the conservative movement.
- All Conservatives are Religious Zealots
- All Conservatives are Racists
- All Conservatives are Homophobes
- All Conservatives are Warmongers
- All Conservatives Oppose Immigration
Although the Republican Party is the political party that most often represents the conservative point of view, there are a variety of political organizations that represent conservatism. These links provide a vast array of viewpoints for those looking to get involved with the conservative movement.
For those who feel like getting involved in the conservative movement, there is an entire world of information on the web. This list should get anyone new to the movement headed in the right direction.
- Nonfiction Conservative Books
- Novels Conservatives Will Love
- Conservative Movies
- Conservative iPhone Apps
A Glossary of Conservative Concepts & Terms
To understand specific parts of the conservative agenda and key concepts and terms of the movement, it is important to have a working conservative lexicon.
- Amnesty Defined
- Astroturfing Defined
- Conservatism Defined
- Czar Defined
- The G-20 Defined
- Judicial Restraint Defined
- Marriage Defined